Communique from Ijaw and Urhobo traditional rulers’ emergency meeting on the face-off between Aladja/Ogbe-Ijoh communities (FULL TEXT)
Ijaw and Urhobo traditional rulers in Delta state, on Saturday, August 12, 2023, at the palace of the Orodje of Okpe kingdom in Orerokpe, held an emergency meeting on the face-off between Aladja community of Udu and Ogbe-Ijoh community of Warri South West.
Below is the communique issued at the end of the emergency meeting in Orerokpe.
1. The Urhobos and Ijaws Traditional Rulers after an extensive discussion on the age-long Aladja and Ogbe-Ijoh crisis resolved that the Urhobos and Ijaws ethnic nationalities do not have personal problems and are not at war each others.
2. That the Ukoko Re-Ivie of Urhobo nation should urgently call the executives of the Urhobo Progressive Union (UPU) as regards the provocative publication that gives the impression that the Urhobos and the Ijaws at at war.
3. The Traditional Rulers resolved and appeal to the State Governor Rt. Hon. (Elder) Sheriff Oborewori to urgently expedite action towards finding a lasting peace in the affected Communities and beef up security in the areas.
4. The meeting called on the leadership of the two affected Communities to maintain peace and work on things that promote peace and unity of both ethnic nationalities in particularly and the state at large.
5. That the alleged seven (7) days altimatum given by a faceless groups is not only fake but mischievously done and should be disregarded by the general public.
HRM ELDER (CAPT.) JOSEPH TIMIYAN PhD.
EBENANAOWEI OF OGULAGHA KINGDOM
(Chairman, Ijaw Traditional Rulers Forum)
HRM SOLOMON A. O. OKUKEREN III
OVIE OF ARIEVWREHEN KINGDOM
(Vice Chairman, Ukoko Re-Ivie of Urhobo Nation)
HRM ORUE 1 CFR, MMM
ORODJE OF OKPE KINGDOM
(Chairman, Delta State Traditional Rulers Council)